Book online bus tickets to Shimla By Northern Travels
Northern Travels takes you to the Shimla Northern Travels originally called Simla, is the capital city of Himachal Pradesh. In 1864, Shimla was declared the summer capital of the British Raj in India. A popular tourist destination, Shimla is often referred to as the "Queen of Hills" (a term coined by the British). Located in the north-west Himalayas at an average altitude of 2,205 metres (7,234 ft), the city of Shimla, draped in forests of pine, rhododendron, and oak, experiences pleasant summers and cold, snowy winters. The city is famous for its buildings styled in tudorbethan and neo-gothic architecture dating from the colonial era. Shimla is connected to the city of Kalka by one of the longest narrow gauge railway routes still operating in India, the Kalka-Shimla Railway. Shimla is approximately 115 km (71.4 miles) from Chandigarh, the nearest major city, and 365 km (226.8 miles) from New Delhi, the national capital. The city is named after the goddess Shyamala Devi, an incarnation of the Hindu Goddess Kali.
Places of interest in Shimla
Municipal Corporation (Town Hall), Shimla.
Mall Road, shopping market in Shimla
The Ridge, Shimla
Indian Institute of Advanced Study, Shimla
1) The Mall The Mall is the main shopping street of Shimla. It also has many restaurants, clubs, banks, bars, Post Offices and tourist offices. The Gaiety Theatre is also situated there. People walk up and down the Mall slowly, stopping to gossip, as it is the main meeting place for everyone. The Ridge and Scandal point are the two main meeting points at the Mall.
2) Christ Church Situated on the Ridge, Christ Church is the second oldest church in Northern India. It has a very majestic appearance and inside there are stained glass windows which represent faith, hope, charity, fortitude, patience and humility. Christ Church is a place all visitors should spend some time in.
3) Jakhu Hill 2 km from Shimla, at a height of 8000 ft, Jakhu Hill is the highest peak and offers a beautiful view of the town and of the snow-covered Himalayas. At the top of the Hill, is an old temple of Lord Hanuman, which is also the home of countless playful monkeys waiting to be fed by all visitors.
4) Shimla State Museum The Museum, which was opened in 1974, has tried to protect hill-out and the cultural wealth of the state. There is a collection of miniature Pahari paintings, sculptures, bronzes wood-carvings and also costumes, textiles and jewellery of the region.
5) Summer Hill Situated at a distance of 5 km from the Ridge is the lovely township of Summer Hill at a height of 6,500 ft on the Shimla-Kalka railway line. Mahatma Gandhi lived in these quiet surroundings during his visits to Shimla. Himachal Pradesh University is situated here.
6) Annandale Developed as the playground of Shimla, Annandale is 2–4 km from the Ridge at a height of 6,117 ft. It is a favourite spot for cricket, picnics and polo.
7) Tara Devi 11 km from the Shimla bus-stand. Tara Devi hill has a temple dedicated to the goddess of stars on top of the hill. There is a military Dairy Town here as well as the headquarters of Bharat Scouts and Guides.
8) Sankat Mochan A Lord Hanuman temple is located here.
9) Junga Junga is a Tehsi 26 km from Shimla ; its original name (with diacritics) is Junga and is a former royal retreat of the princely state of Junga (also known as Keonthal Estate).
10) Mashobra 13 km from Shimla, site of the annual Sipi fair in June.
11) Kufri 16 km from Shimla at a height of 8,600 ft, Kufri is the winter sports capital and also has a small zoo.
12)Chharabra 13 km from Shimla on route to Kufri.
13) Naldehra 22 km from Shimla, with a nine-hole Naldehra Golf Club. The annual Sipi fair in June is held in Naldehra.
14) Tatapani Location of sulphur springs which are found near the Tatapani mandir(holy temple)
15)Chail Chail was the summer capital of the Maharaja of Patiala before Independence, known for its cricket pitch, the highest in the world.
16)Arki (46 km) is the site of an 18th century fort built when Arki was the capital of the erstwhile hill state of Baghal
17)Sanjauli The main suburb of Shimla.
Northern Travels takes you to the Shimla and makes the journey comfortable.